If you ever wanted to make your life easier on After Effects or improve your workflow I would consider using the expression controls effects. Whether you need to access and quickly edit one or multiple property of a layer/effect, or setup your project so someone else can edit without digging in thousand of layers, the expression controls should be your friend.
In this post I will show how to use each expression controls effects provided in after effects, I will also provide a demo project files of each expression control so you can play with them.
Let’s start with the basic below, feel free to skip if you already know the subject.
What are Expression Controls in After Effects?
Expression controls allow you to manage a specific property of your layer, it basically act like a shortcut and allow you to edit quickly without digging in a thousands of layer properties.
Here is the list of expression controls you can find in the Effects and Presets panel in After Effects 2020.
Expression control are often use in After Effects template so the users don’t have to dig into thousands of layers to find what they need.
Drag and drop the expression controls to your layer won’t work, you will need to connect or add an expression for the control to work properly, I will go over the steps to enable each expression control below.
Where can you find the Expression Controls in After Effects?
Click on the Effects tab on the top bar, click on Expression controls,
You can also find the expression control on the Effects and Presets panel, see screenshot
What can you do with Expression Controls in After Effects?
Here is a list of things you can do with the expression controls effects
- Control the position of one or multiple 3D layers (Check 3D point Control on the tab below )
- Control the angle/rotation one or multiple layers (Check the Angle Control Effect on the tabs below)
- Turn On or Off a layer properties (Check the checkbox control on the tab below)
- Control the color of a layer (Check Color Control on the tabs below)
- Control a layer property (Opacity) or an effects with a slider (Check the slider control on the tabs below)
- Switch Composition from drop down (Check the dropdown menu control on the tabs below)